Pages

Saturday, October 26, 2013

Cheesecake

I've just baked 2 batches of cheesecake and it was really different from the first one I baked which was a year ago. You can really see the difference in the pictures. I used the same recipe for both.

For the first cheesecake, I baked it at 177C for about 40 minutes I think. The timing was because I used more batter(3 egg portion) so the cheesecake was quite tall. I guessed I overbaked it because it was really brown at the top. But then again, it's still moist! According to most websites, a brown surface on the cheesecake means it has been overbaked. It's confusing huh, I overbaked my cheesecake but it was moist.


Just now, I baked cheesecakes again using the same recipe and same 6 inch pan but I changed the oven temperature to 160C, used less batter(1 egg portion), and I tapped the pan to get air bubbles out before baking. It came out really pretty, and denser than the ones I baked a year ago. But the thing is, I cannot figure out which taste nicer because both are good. I'm really confused. This is really confusing. What do humans want in a cheesecake? Like what appearance would be more appealing to them? I can't figure it out. 



The final product of the recipe below will be a brown surfaced cheesecake, and it is lighter than the ones I have baked recently. 

Cheesecake recipe

70g digestive biscuits (crushed into crumbs)
20g butter (melted)
750g cream cheese (room temperature)
3/4 cups white sugar
1/3 cup whipping cream (already whipped to soft peaks)
1 tsp vanilla extract
3 eggs

Directions
  1. Preheat oven to 177C.
  2. Mix the biscuit crumbs with the butter until combined, resembling wet sand.
  3. Line aluminium foil to a 6 inch loose pan. Place the crumbs in the pan and press tightly, refrigerate the pan.
  4. In a bowl, combine cream cheese and sugar. Mix until soft and creamy.
  5. Place in the vanilla extract and whipped cream. Mix until combined.
  6. Add in one egg at a time, mixing until just combined. Do not overmix as it will incooporate too much air into the batter, causing cracks to the surface of your final product.
  7. Bake in a 6 inch pan for about 30 to 40 mins or until the surface of the cheesecake is golden brown. 

No comments:

Post a Comment